https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3RSDarfkvvV3IBAbdp0utQhttps://sacoronavirus.co.za/http://www.im-info.co.za/http://www.integrated-marketing.co.za/

Top tips for saving fuel in construction equipment in 2020

construction equipmentconstruction equipment
construction equipmentconstruction equipment

 

Top tips for saving fuel in construction equipment in 2020

Being cost-effective is what every construction business needs to strive for.

Cutting down on unnecessary costs can help your business reduce needless spending, which can be utilised where it’s needed, without the need for additional funding.

Fuel is a money guzzler. And with the South African economy looking a little rocky at the moment, businesses need to start looking for ways to cut back on fuel.

 

Consider upgrading your equipment

As we all know, there are benefits in upgrading equipment, and although you may worry about the expense, it’s an effective way to cut costs in the long run. Heavy equipment such as mobile cranes needs to be upgraded from time to time. This improves production and productivity, with additional features that can help save fuel.

For example, equipment now has power-optimisation systems, advanced transmission and hydraulic systems, which are designed to ensure less fuel wastage.

 

Equipment that is idling promotes fuel wastage

It's common knowledge that idle times use a lot of fuel. And, again with new equipment that has modernised engines, you won’t need to keep the machine on idle during startup and shutdown. Manufacturers have made sure the equipment can be shut down when not in use.

 

Offer employees fuel management training

Sometimes, employees aren’t aware that their actions are affecting the business. Therefore, they need training on how to use the equipment and avoid fuel wastage. For example, if you have mobile cranes, or are considering an upgrade, you need to have mobile crane training for your employees. Many equipment companies that sell mobile cranes in South Africa offer crane operating training, which is useful for both your business and your employees.

 

Regular maintenance checks

To ensure your equipment is at its optimal performance, you need to have regular checks. The main reason why you should conduct regular maintenance checks is that poorly maintained equipment consumes significantly more fuel for the same amount of work.

Those regular checks will help you to stop any issues that cause wastage ahead of time. It’s always best to fix small issues, rather than waiting and having a bigger issue on your hands in the long run. And, while doing your regular maintenance checks, it would be beneficial to take a relook at your machine and collect data. That will give you an idea of its daily and monthly usage so you can plan better. Like a maintenance check, it will also help you pick up red flags or any underlying issues in advance, allowing you to maintain units before you experience unexpected downtime.

 

Relook your transport methods and routes

Now, this depends on the type of machinery that’s in question and what their transportation routes and methods are. For example, driving at a considerable pace can lower fuel usage, and it can help to reduce air emissions from the fuel. Depending on the machinery, it can even be helpful to find shorter travelling distances. Finding shorter routes can drop fuel efficiency by a considerable amount which can help lower your fuel consumption.

 

Choose the correct mix of oils and fuels

Choosing the correct oils and fuels for your equipment can help your machines in the long run by improving performance. And, finding the right mix will help your equipment perform optimally and decrease its fuel consumption.

 

Make sure your tyres have proper air pressure

Tyres only carry a low amount of the vehicle's load, roughly about 6 percent. This leaves 94 percent of the weight being supported by air. Because there is so much pressure, its crucial that tyres have proper air pressure and have their air filters checked and cleaned regularly. That will promote fuel efficiency and allow the machine to optimally.

 

Final thoughts

Being fuel savvy is an effective way of cutting costs.

But, it isn’t only beneficial for that reason as it is also better for the environment as your company reduces its carbon footprint. Apart from regular checks, mixing the right oils and checking tyre pressure, purchasing newer equipment with the latest specs can be extremely beneficial for your company. Not only will it reduce fuel consumption, but newer equipment works faster. It's safer and doesn’t have to be a hassle for you and your employees.

So, over the upcoming months, take the time to consider the pros and cons of purchasing the latest equipment rather than continuously checking to see if your old one is future-fit.

construction equipment